Call us for a tour of our school! 504-524-7285
St. Michael Special School does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national or ethnic origin, or disability in violation of state or federal law in the administration of its education policies or programs. The information provided with this application will not be used for any unlawful discriminatory purpose.
Thank you for your interest in St. Michael Special School. If you would like to apply for admission for the 24-25 School year, please complete this online application. If you are having problems accessing the online application, please call the school, and we will help you. The admissions team will review the information and contact you to set up an interview with you and your child if we have a possible opening that may meet your child's needs.
We ensure a quality education for all of our students. Therefore, admission will depend upon classroom availability as well as ability of our program to meet the needs of each individual student.
1. Referrals are made by psychologists, doctors, parents/guardians, principals, teachers, guidance counselors, and community agencies.
2. A form for full release of psychological, academic and medical information is included in the online application.
3. Upon receipt of the online application, the prospective student is seen by administration in an interview with the parents. The purpose of the interview is to secure complete knowledge of the student to determine if he/she can profit from the program. All information gathered is confidential.
4. Information obtained at the interview will include: personal, medical, physical, educational, psychological, social, and emotional.
5. Adherence to age range is as follows:
Lower School — Age 3 (Must be 3 years old by August 1, 2024) to 15
Upper School — Ages 16 to 21
Exploration Academy — Upper School or High School graduates who qualify (a student may remain in this transition program for up to four years).
Joy Center — Ages 22 and older (available to current Upper School graduates only)
6. Evaluation of academic ability is assessed upon consideration of placement and availability in classes.
7. Applicant must have basic self-help skills and be able to use the restroom independently.
8. Parents are notified by school of placement decision. If the child is accepted, online registration forms must be completed.