Call us for a tour of school! 504-524-7285
Thank you for your interest in St. Michael Special School. If you would like to apply for admission, please complete this online application. If you are having problems accessing the online application, please call the school, and we will help you. The admissions team will review the information and contact you to set up an interview with you and your child if we have a possible opening that may meet your child's needs. If you are interested in applying for financial aid, your application must be submitted by February 12, 2021.
We ensure a quality education for all of our students. Therefore, admission will depend upon classroom availability as well as ability of our program to meet the needs of each individual student.
1. Referrals are made by psychologists, doctors, parents/guardians, principals, teachers, guidance counselors, and community agencies.
2. A form for full release of psychological, academic and medical information is included in the online application.
3. Upon receipt of the online application, the prospective student is seen by administration in an interview with the parents. The purpose of the interview is to secure complete knowledge of the student to determine if he/she can profit from the program. All information gathered is confidential.
4. Information obtained at the interview will include: personal, medical, physical, educational, psychological, social, and emotional.
5. Adherence to age range is as follows:
Lower School — Ages 6 to 15
Upper School — Ages 16 to 21
Exploration Academy — Upper School or High School graduates who qualify (a student may remain in this transition program for up to four years).
Joy Center — Ages 22 and older (available to current Upper School graduates only)
6. Adherence to range of academic ability is assessed upon consideration of placement and availability in classes.
7. Applicant must have basic self-help skills and be able to use the restroom independently.
8. Parents are notified by school of placement decision. If the child is accepted, online registration forms must be completed.
St. Michael Special School does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, creed, national or ethnic origin in the administration of its educational policies.