Call us for a tour of our school! 504-524-7285
Thank you for your interest in St. Michael School. If you would like to apply for admission, please complete the attached application and submit with a copy of your child’s most recent psychological evaluation, your child’s most recent Individual Education Plan (IEP), $30 application fee, and a recent photograph of your child. The admissions team will review the information and contact you to setup an interview with you and your child if we have a possible opening that may meet the needs of your child. If you are interested in applying for financial aid, your application must be postmarked by February 1, 2020.
We ensure a quality education for all of our students. Therefore admission will depend upon classroom availability as well as ability of our program to meet the needs of each individual student.
1. Referrals are made by psychologists, doctors, parents/guardians, principals, teachers, guidance counselors, and community agencies.
2. An application is sent upon request to parents. A form for full release of psychological and medical data by competent authority is included.
3. Upon receipt of application and data, the prospective student is seen by administration in an interview with the parents. The purpose of the interview is to secure complete knowledge of the student to determine if he/she can profit from the program. All information gathered is confidential.
4. Information obtained at the interview will include: personal, medical, physical, educational, psychological, social, and emotional.
5. Adherence to age range is as follows:
Lower School - Ages 6 to 15
Upper School - Ages 16 to 21
Exploration Academy - Upper School or High School graduates who qualify (a student may remain in this transition program for up to four years. EA Application HERE.
Joy Center - Ages 22 and older (available to current Upper School graduates only)
6. Adherence to range of mental ability is assessed upon consideration of placement and availability in classes.
7. Applicant must have basic self-help skills and be able to use the restroom independently.
8. Parents are notified by school of placement decision. If the child is accepted, registration forms must be completed.
St. Michael Special School does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, creed, national or ethnic origin in the administration of its educational policies.